Safety Data Sheets
A Safety Data Sheet (SDS) is a document containing chemical hazard identification and safe handling information and is prepared in accordance with the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard. Chemical manufacturers and importers must provide the purchasers of hazardous chemicals an appropriate SDS for each hazardous chemical or product purchased.
Because all SDS for newer chemicals are freely available online at the manufacturer's website, Gettysburg College does not maintain an extensive paper-based collection of these documents. Instead, employees shall access these documents at the appropriate online source. We have made every attempt to identify every supplier, based on our existing chemical inventory, and have included those links below.
Training in the retrieval of SDS is included in all new employee training programs and is discussed in the college's Hazard Communication Plan.
In the event of a foreseeable emergency where internet access is unavailable, employees should contact the Department of Public Safety by calling (717)337-6911 to request that a hard copy be obtained immediately through alternate means.
SDS for older chemicals not available online are maintained in the Science Center Stockroom. Copies of these documents are available upon request; however, because online sources provide the most up-to-date information, an electronically accessed SDS is the preferred source of information.
SDS Links by Supplier/Manufacturer
- Acros Organics
- Alfa Aesar
- Allied Chemical
- Astrazeneca Pharma
- Bayer Pharma
- Bio Rad
- Carolina Biological Supply
- Chem Service
- Difco Laboratories/BD Biosciences SDS
- Eastman Kodak
- Ecolab Inc.
- Electron Microscopy Services
- Fisher Scientific Catalog and SDS
- Flinn Scientific
- Hewlett-Packard Toners and Inks
- J.T. Baker
- Life Technologies
- Mallinckrodt Laboratory Chemicals (Avantor Performance Materials) Online SDS
- Oakwood Chemical
- Pfanstiehl Laboratories, Inc.
- Pierce Chemical
- Praxair, Inc.
- Sigma, Aldrich, Fluka, Supelco, Riedel-deHaen
- Strem Chemicals Inc.
- TECH America
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- US Biological
- VWR Scientific SDS
- WA Hammond Drierite Co.
SDS and Chemical Information from Governmental Agencies
- Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry (ATSDR) Databases
- Biosafety Related SDSs (LCDC Canada)
- Department of Homeland Security Chemicals of Interest
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Carcinogen listing
- NIH National Library of Medicine Specialized Information Services (TOXNET, ChemID, SuperLists)
- NIST Chemistry WebBook
- US NOAA Database of Hazardous Materials
- OSHA Toxic and Hazardous Substances