Step-by-Step Guide: Obtaining a Driver’s License in Pennsylvania for International Students at Gettysburg College
Note: To be eligible for a PA driver’s license or state ID, a non-immigrant must have at least one year remaining on their immigration document (I-20).
Review the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual online or obtain a paper copy from a local Driver License Center.
Go to the Gettysburg College Health Center for a physical examination and complete a Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-180).
Visit the Gettysburg Driver License Center with:
- The completed DL-180
- The completed DL-180TD (if under the age 18). This form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is 18 years of age or older
- Proof of identity; International Passport, I-94, I-20
- Two acceptable proofs of residency; typically a letter from PNC bank and another letter from Residence Life
- Your Social Security card. If you do not have a Social Security Card, you can obtain a Social Security Card denial letter from the office of Social Security Administration. Please email Brad Lancaster to schedule a trip to the Social Security Office.
- A check or money order (available at the campus Post Office) payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. (Cash is not accepted.) It is advisable to write the check after meeting with staff at the local Driver License Center.
Take your eye screening and Knowledge Test at the Gettysburg Driver License Center. Once passed, you will be issued your Initial Learner's Permit.
Note: Permit holders under the age of 18 are encouraged to schedule their exam at this time for 6 months from the date their initial permit was issued. Leading up to the date of their skills test, if the student does not feel comfortable they may reschedule their exam for a future date.
(Only applicable for permit holders under 18)
You must complete 65 hours of adult-supervised skill building. Except for a motorcycle learner's permit, this requirement includes no less than ten hours of nighttime driving and five (5) hours of bad weather driving as well as 6 month waiting period.
Schedule a road test either online or by calling 1-800-423-5542. New exams appointments are made available every Wednesday morning that are within 6 weeks and 6 months timeframe.
When visiting a Driver License Center to take your road test, please be sure to bring the following items with you:
- Your valid learner's permit
- Parent or Guardian Certification Form DL-180C, if applicant is under 18 years of age
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle registration
- Accompanying driver's valid driver's license
- Valid Inspection Sticker(s)
PennDOT uses state-of-the-art facial recognition technology when an individual has their photo taken for their driver's license/identification card renewal.
What Car can I use for my Driving practice and Road Test?
Many students use a friend’s car if they already know how to drive. However, if you don’t know how to drive, please consider contacting one of the following driving schools in Gettysburg:
Driving Schools in Gettysburg
Perry Smith Driving School, LLC - Gettysburg
351 Longstreet Drive
Gettysburg, PA 17325