Transfer to Gettysburg College from Another US School

After being admitted to a new school through the normal admissions process, an international student must then request a transfer of their F-1 immigration status. It is important to consult with International Student Advisors at both the previous school and Gettysburg to make sure the F-1 transfer is handled properly.

F-1 Students

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to Gettysburg if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer and there will be no more than a five (5) month gap between schools from the last date of attendance, OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT), whichever is later.

The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

Steps to Transfer to Gettysburg

  1. Notify the International Student Advisor at your current school that you intend to transfer to Gettysburg. The adviser will enter a SEVIS Release Date into your record. On this date, your SEVIS record will automatically transfer to Gettysburg via the internet. The release date is usually the last day of enrollment at your current school.

  2. Contact the International Student Advisor at Gettysburg to receive a transfer I-20 from Gettysburg.

  3. Pay your tuition fees.

Traveling Between Schools

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the US any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their Gettysburg I-20 and not the previous school's document. F-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US. F-1 students can use a valid visa stamp issued for their pre-Gettysburg institution as long as the SEVIS ID number remains the same.

Transfer From Gettysburg

If you are planning to leave Gettysburg to go to another US school, you must request a "transfer out" from the International Student Advisor. The ISA will release your SEVIS record to the new school. The date of your release depends on your program status.