Travel & Re-entry to the US

Travel to Other Countries

Other countries may require a visa and/or immunizations to enter their country. Before your departure, contact the nearest consulate or embassy of the country(ies) you plan to visit for updated information.

Travel Inside the United States

It is strongly recommended that you carry a valid passport, I-94, your I-20  and proof of current registration or program.

Travel to Your Home Country - Required Documents

  • Passport - Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future at all times, especially upon initial entry or re-entry to the US.
  • US Entry Visa  - The visa stamp in your passport should be valid on the date of your return to the US. (It does not, however, need to remain valid during your stay in the US.) If you have an old, expired passport with a valid US entry visa, you do not need to get a new visa stamp in your new passport as long as you carry both passports when you enter the US. Canadian citizens do not need a US visa. Canadian landed immigrants, however, are required to obtain US entry visas.
  • Evidence of Financial Support - It is strongly recommended that non-immigrants carry proof of the financial support and resources reflected on the Form I-20 .
  • F-1 Documents - Make sure your Form I-20 has been PROPERLY ENDORSED. If the information on your I-20 is correct, you will need a travel signature on the 3rd page of your I-20. Travel signatures are valid for 5 months. Drop your I-20 off in the ISA's box in the International Student Center. You will be contacted to pick it up by 2:00 pm on the next business day.

    It is also recommended that students obtain a Proof of Enrollment Letter from the College Registrar.

OPT students should carry the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). See more.

Special Concerns

In the following cases, consult with the International Student Advisor at least two weeks before departure:

  • You will be out of the US for more than five months.
  • You are considering traveling to Mexico or Canada to renew or change the US entry visa.
  • Your I-20 has expired or will expire within 30 days of your expected return to the US.
  • You are currently applying or have applied in the past for US legal permanent resident status (green card).