Public Policy Major
Effective with the Class of 2026
A first major, ten courses, and an internship are required for the PP major.
No more than two courses used to fulfill the requirements of a student’s first major may count toward the Public Policy major. Exceptions may be made for Economics, Business, and IGS majors.
- One introductory government class POL 101, 103, or 104 or AP Government Exam score of 4 or 5.
Seven Public Policy Core Courses
- PP 221 Introduction to Public Policy
- PP 251 Research Design.
- Values and ethics course from PHIL/PP 230, 232, PHIL 252, 328, REL/PP 227, 327, 362 or a course approved by the Public Policy Ethics and Values Committee.
- PP 305 Advanced Public Policy Analysis
Or a Policymaking course approved by the Public Policy Chairperson
- PP 306 The Public and Its Problems or PP 323 Social Determinants of Health Or a Theory course approved by Public Policy Chairperson
- PP 470 Internship with Policy Concept Paper related to concentration
- PP 401 Capstone
- ECON 103 Macroeconomics
- ECON 104 Microeconomics
- One elective course related to concentration.
See Public Policy website for list of approved courses
Link to Public Policy Website: