Gettysburg College will be offering an on-campus summer program for our students during the summer of 2023. Before applying for summer housing, it is important that students understand the following information and summer program/housing requirements.
On this page:
Housing eligibility and verification
To be eligible for summer housing, a student must fall into one of the following categories:
- Fellowship Program Participant (examples include):
- XSIG Fellows
- Kolbe Scholars
- Center for Public Service (CPS)
- College-Approved FOR CREDIT Internship (registered and verified with the Center for Career Engagement)
- NOT FOR CREDIT Internship (verified with internship supervisor/mentor)
- Summer Course Participant (in-person) at a nearby college (verified with the Registrar's Office)
- International student who is unable to return home
- On-Campus Student Employee (verified with the student's supervisor)
Verification of eligibility
Summer housing verification of eligibility must be provided by 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, April 25. Students will not be able to select a room for the summer nor be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- The buildings being used for summer 2023 are listed below. Rooms will be a combination of singles and doubles.
- Musselman Hall
- Stevens Hall
- 227 Carlisle Street (aka RISE House)
- Appleford Inn
- Lamp Post
- Groups (e.g. Fellowships) will not be housed together, giving students the ability to select from all offered housing in order to meet any particular needs or preferences that they have.
- All facilities will have kitchen access and air conditioning.
- Residential Education (Res Ed) will bill summer housing applicants for summer housing by Friday, April 28. Students will see the charge on their student accounts on Monday, May 1.
- All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity.
- Housing options for the summer are subject to change.
Application deadline and room selection
- Summer housing applications must be submitted by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, April 20, 2023. The application is an online form and the link to the form can be found at the end of this webpage.
- Students will select housing using the lottery numbers generated for the academic year housing selection process.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order, as space permits.
- Summer housing assignments will be selected by approved summer students through an in-person selection process that will occur on Tuesday, April 25 between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. in CUB 260. Only students whose eligibility is verified will be entered into the lottery and be able to select housing on this day.
- More information about the room selection process will be provided to approved summer housing residents after the application deadline of April 20.
Summer housing move-in and move-out information
- Summer rooms will be not be ready for occupancy until 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 16; in most cases, students will be able to remain in their spring housing until that time. Students will then have until 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 18 to move their belongings from spring housing to summer housing. After summer housing room selection occurs on April 25, more details will be provided about specific transition from spring to summer housing.
- Students who are not on campus during the spring semester (e.g. because they are studying abroad) should not plan to arrive to campus until after 4:00 p.m. on May 16.
- Students who are still residing in summer housing on Friday, August 4 and will be on-campus for the fall semester will move to their fall housing the weekend of August 4-6, beginning at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 4.
- Students not returning for the Fall 2023 semester (e.g. May 2023 graduates, those studying abroad/ off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6.
Summer meal plan and on-campus dining options
- A summer meal plan will be available for students living in College provided summer housing.
- The plan provides students with two meals per day, per week at either the Bullet Hole or Servo.
- The summer meal plan will be available May 29 - August 6, with the exception of July 3 and 4.
- Students will be responsible for their own meals prior to May 29 and after August 6 during which time students have the option to use cash, credit card, and/or dining dollars at designated dining venues.
- Students opting for the summer meal plan must be on the plan for a minimum of 6 consecutive weeks during the summer program and must be living in College provided summer housing.
- Servo hours are driven by summer conferences and events; this schedule is still being finalized.
- The locations and times of dining options will be listed on the Dining website.
Summer Housing Only
- The 2023 Summer Housing rate per student is $100 per week and will be calculated based on the number of weeks that a student is in housing for the summer. Students will note their housing needs (by week) on their summer housing application.
- A minimum charge of $600 is billed for any period of housing less than six weeks. The maximum charge for the summer is $1,000. The 10-week billing period runs from May 29 - August 6.
- Students who begin summer housing on or after June 26 will be charged a housing rate of $600.
- Weeks run from Monday through Sunday. Housing will be billed for consecutive, full weeks and there will be no proration for partial weeks and no refunds issued.
Summer Housing + Summer Meal Plan
- Summer Meal Plan and Summer Housing will be offered at a combined rate of $225 per student, per week. Students will see a $50 housing charge and a $175 dining charge on their student account billing statement.
- If you are part of a sponsored summer program or campus department, please consult with your sponsor, director, or employer to understand what, if any portion of your costs will be covered by your program.
- Housing and meal plans that students receive as part of their employment are considered additional wages and the student will be taxed on the value of the housing and meals over the course of the summer. The department will be directly charged for the housing and/or meal plans costs.
- Housing and/or meal plans that students receive as part of a fellowship program and is paid for by the program is considered additional fellowship funds and may be taxable to the student.
- All students will have housing and meal plan charges billed to their student account and then credits will be entered for housing and meal plans provided by programs and departments.
- Any student wishing to stay on campus after their program is completed will need to pay the $100/week fee (housing only) or $225/week (housing + summer meal plan).
|Week of April 3||Summer housing applications available|
|Thursday, April 20, at 8 a.m.||Summer housing applications due|
|Tuesday, April 25, 9 a.m.||Summer housing eligibility must be confirmed|
|Tuesday, April 25, 4:00-6:00 p.m.||Summer housing room selection, CUB 260|
|Monday, May 1||Summer housing fee will billed to student accounts|
|Tuesday, May 16 at 4:00 p.m.||Summer housing check-in begins|
|Tuesday, May 16 at 4:00 p.m. – Thursday, May 18 at 8:00 a.m.||Summer housing transition (from spring housing)|
|Friday, August 4 at 4:00 p.m.–Sunday, August 6 at 10:00 p.m.||Summer housing transition (to fall housing)|
|Sunday, August 6 at 10:00 p.m.||Summer housing officially ends*|
* PLEASE NOTE: Students who are still residing in summer housing on Friday, August 4 and will be on-campus for the fall semester will move to their fall housing the weekend of August 4-6. Students not returning for the Fall 2023 semester (e.g. May 2023 graduates, those studying abroad/ off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 6.
Campus mail service
Summer residents should notify the campus Post Office if they plan to remain on campus for the summer so that the Post Office does not forward their mail to their permanent address.
Questions and application
Email your questions to email@example.com.
The 2023 summer housing application has closed.