Studying abroad/off-campus during the fall semester
Students studying abroad/off-campus during the Fall 2022 semester will receive a lottery number along with the rest of the student population in April. This number will be used to assign housing for the Spring 2023 Semester. Please note that students who no longer plan to study abroad during the Fall 2022 semester must communicate to the Center for Global Education (CGE) no later than 9:00 a.m. on Friday, April 1 so they can be included in the online housing selection process that will occur on April 10.
Spring 2023 Housing
- Living off-campus
If you plan to study abroad/off-campus during the Fall 2022 Semester and wish to reside in an off-campus apartment upon returning in the spring, you MUST participate in the Off-Campus Living approval process that occurs during the Spring 2022 Semester.
- Greek Housing
If you are a member of a Greek fraternity you will need to check the residency requirements of your fraternity before seeking any other housing option.
- Disability Accommodations for Housing
The Office of Residential Education (Res Ed) will work to accommodate students returning from abroad/off-campus for the spring semester who are approved for disability accommodations. However, depending on the housing available, all student preferences may not be able to be met when finding appropriate accommodations.
- College Houses
If you are interested in living in a college house upon your return for the Spring 2023 semester, please make sure you participate in the College House application process in March 2022. If you have questions about a specific college house, please feel free to contact the appropriate College House leader for assistance.
- Room Switch Agreements
There is not a formal room switch agreement process. Verbal agreements are not official with the Office of Residential Education (Res Ed) and will not be honored. Students can request to be assigned to a space that they are aware will be opening on the “Spring Housing Preference Form” (see below). Additionally, all students on campus will receive an “End of Fall Semester” email in which they can indicate who they are requesting to fill a vacancy in their room, apartment, or suite. Any rooms, apartments, or suites/singles that will be completely vacated for the Spring 2023 semester will be filled by the RFYP Office from Housing Preference Forms in class year and lottery number order.
- Spring Housing Preference Form and Placements for Spring 2023
All students returning from studying abroad/off-campus will be asked to complete a "Spring Housing Preference Form." These forms will be emailed to students in October 2022 and will be due to RFYP by Monday, November 7. Spring Housing Preference Forms are then placed in class year/lottery number order for housing placement for the spring semester. The Office of Residential Education (Res Ed) will not finalize housing assignments until the week of January 9, 2023. Once assignments are finalized, students will be emailed at which time they can view their spring housing assignment via MyHousing in CNAV.
Please note the following:
- Students will be able to note roommate requests on the preference form. Due to housing availability, you will likely be housed in a double with one other student. Group requests can be made, but understand that, due to availability, requests for groups of three or more are not usually granted. If you do not request anyone to live with, you will be randomly assigned to a vacancy based on your residence hall preferences noted on the preference form, your class year, and your lottery number.
- It is unlikely that singles will be available for the Spring 2023. Available singles, if any, will be prioritized for students with approved disability housing accommodations for a single.
- The RFYP Office will work diligently to house students with approved disability housing accommodations. However, based on available vacancies, it is not unusual for students to be put on a waiting list for housing that meets their accommodations.
- Students returning from studying abroad/off-campus will initially be billed "Plan 2 - Apartment Rate" for the spring semester in November. Once housing assignments are finalized, billing will be adjusted if applicable.
- Spring 2023 Arrival
- Students will not be permitted to arrive on campus for the Spring 2023 semester prior to 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 14. However, if you are part of an organization that requires your arrival before this time, you will be on a roster for early arrival. Please check with your respective organization, coach or Faculty/Administrative Leader to make sure you are on this roster.
- Keys can be picked up in the Office of Residential Education (CUB 250) on both Saturday, January 14 and Sunday, January 15 (exact times are to be determined). Keys may also be picked up during regular business hours beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, January 16.
- Meal plans begin on Saturday, January 14.
- Classes begin on Monday, January 16.
- Please see the College Calendar for other important dates for the Spring Semester.
Hours for the Office of Residential Education (Res Ed) during winter break:
December 19-22 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* December 23-January 2 CLOSED January 3-6 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* January 7-8 CLOSED January 9-13 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* January 14 9:00 a.m. - TBD January 15 TBD *The office closes for lunch between noon and 1:00 p.m.