Frequently Asked Questions

Report an incident

Report an incident of sexual misconduct through the Office of College Life.

Report an incident

How to report

Learn about the process for reporting an incident of sexual misconduct.

Learn how to file a report

Who do I go to if I want to file a complaint?

If you wish to file a complaint, you can go to the Title IX Director, Campus Safety, or you can report online at Community Concern Form. Should you want to file criminal charges, you can contact Gettysburg Police Department, or Campus Safety can assist you in contacting the Gettysburg Police.

If you are wishing to file a confidential report you may speak with Counseling Services, Health Services, or Pastoral Counseling.

Does the complaint remain confidential?
Information is handled sensitively and we attempt to maintain privacy, but as the situation will be investigated, confidentiality cannot be maintained.
Will my parents be told?
We will not inform parents without your consent. However, please keep your health insurance in mind, as we have had cases where parents are notified by the hospital if treatment is sought out.
Where can I find support and will I have to pay for it?
You can find support through Counseling Services, Health Services, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center . There is no charge for any of these services.
What happens if I file a formal complaint?
The Title IX Director or their designee will contact you to see how you are, connect you with resources (such as counseling and academic advising), and determine if you would like to proceed with any formal or informal with the college.  If you elect to also file criminal charges the college must wait to move forward with a formal process until the police have completed their initial fact finding investigation. Once the police (if involved) have turned the case over to the Campus Safety, they will complete their investigation and submit a report to the Title IX Director for review.
Will I be punished when reporting a sexual misconduct violation if I was using drugs or alcohol?
Can I have an attorney help me with the complaint?
Yes. However, while the attorney or advisor of your choice can be present during an interview or hearing, the attorney/advisor cannot speak in the interview or hearing process.
Can I file a criminal complaint at the same time I file a complaint with the College?
Will my complaint be investigated if I initiated physical contact but didn’t consent to having sex?
What happens if I am reporting on behalf of a friend who does not want to come forward?
Ideally, before coming forward you should try to explain to your friend all of the benefits of coming forward. Most importantly, explain your concern and that by coming forward we can help. If you cannot get them to come forward, we would still attempt to contact that friend and invite them to meet. Your friend can choose to meet with the Title IX Director, or not. That choice is 100% up to them. Regardless of what happens, you will know that you have done the right thing for your friend.